Thursday, December 29, 2011

Split Pea Soup



Not to brag, but, I think I make the best Split Pea Soup I have ever tasted.  I like a velvety-smooth soup with hearty vegetables and a warmth and flavor that just make it seam like everything will be okay.  Split peas are extremely inexpensive and have enough fiber and protean to make a nutritionist proud to recommend them.  Since everything else I put in this soup is good for you as well, the end product is a rich, warm, delicious, stick-to-your-ribs soup that is really good for your body.  


Serve this soup in a bread bowl, or with a roll.  If you need more, consider adding a salad.  This soup is best in the winter, but it is one that I make for my family all year long.  I hope you enjoy this as much as I do.


Split Pea Soup
Total Time: 2.5 Hours     Serves: 6
  • 1 Onion, chopped
  • 1 Ham Steak, cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 4 cans Chicken Broth
  • 4 cups Water
  • 1 pound (or 2 1/2 cups) Split Peas
  • 1-2 Bay Leaves
  • Pepper and Salt, to taste
  • 7 Carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 8 Potatoes, cut into 1 inch cubes



In large pot over high heat add ham and cook until some of the fat has been rendered. 


Add onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.


Add chicken stock, water, peas, bay leaves and pepper; stir to combine.


Simmer, covered, for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until the peas are very soft and become smooth in the broth when stired.


Bring soup to a boil and add carrots and potatoes. Boil for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.


Check seasonings adding more salt and pepper if necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment