Thursday, October 20, 2011

Chili



Chili - is anything else this healthy so fulfilling and delicious?  Beans are high in protein and fiber, and together with tomatoes, onions, and lean ground beef, they make for a nutritious meal.  The trick is that the meal has all the right components to fill you up - and keep you full for a long time: fiber, protein, and a little bit of fat.  


Nutrition aside, this meal is also really inexpensive.  I often make it with dry beans which has the added advantage of letting you try a few of many different beans.  Where I like to buy my groceries you can buy about 10 different varieties in bulk, I like to get a little bit of 3 or 4 different kinds, just to make the chili look more diverse.  If you use dry beans, the whole recipe can be made for about $4.  That's right $4 to feed 6 adults.


Now, I know most people don't look at a blog and think to themselves "mmm, that recipe looks so cheap and healthy; I bet my family would love it" but, I get excited, so, sorry if I went in too deep.  You can be sure that even if this chili was expensive and terrible for you, I would still make it, it is just that good.  My husband adds about 1 Tablespoon of red pepper flakes to this recipe to make it hot enough for himself.  I hope you and your family enjoy and be sure to come back next week for my bread which makes a great side for this dish.


Chili
Total Time: 1 hour     Serves: 6

  • 1-2 Tablespoons Vegatable Oil
  • 1/2 pound Ground Beef
  • 1 Onion, finely chopped
  • 1 can Diced Tomato
  • 1 can Beef Broth
  • 2 cans Chili Beans
  • 4 cans Kidney Beans, drained
  • 2 teaspoons Oregano
  • 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
  • 1-2 Tablespoons Paprika
  • Pinch of Cayenne
  • Pinch of Salt
  • Pepper


To hot pot add oil and beef, cook until beef is browned.


Add onion, and cook until translucent and soft, about 3 minutes.


Add beef broth, tomatoes, beans, oregano, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne, salt and pepper.  Stir to combine.


Reduce heat to low and simmer for at least 20 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds sooo good! Can't wait to try it! Thanks for stopping by Reading Confetti!

    ReplyDelete